When a motor vehicle registered in one States has been kept in another State, for a period exceeding twelve months, the owner of the vehicle shall, within such period and in such form containing such particulars as may be prescribed by the Central Government, apply to the registering authority, within whose jurisdiction the vehicle then is, for the assignment of a new registration mark and shall present the certificate of registration to that registering authority.


  • Apply for assignment of new registration mark to a motor vehicle in Form 27 within 12 months of re-assignment of the vehicle from one state to another
  • Pay appropriate fee and tax as specified in rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989

Documents required

  • Application in Form 27
  • Certificate of registration
  • Proof of residence
  • No Objection Certificate
  • Insurance certificate
  • Pollution under control certificate
  • Form 28*
  • Form 20*
  • Challan clearance from traffic police or enforcement wing of transport department (in case of commercial vehicles)*
  • Fitness certificate*
  • PAN Card or Form 60 and Form 61 (as applicable)*
  • Parking fee*
  • Certificate manufactured regarding emission norms*
  • Chassis & Engine Pencil Print*
  • Proof of Date of Birth*
  • Proof of seller’s address*
  • Signature identification of seller


  • The Motor Vehicles Act 1988 (Section 47 of Chapter IV)
  • The Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989 (Rule 54)
  • State transport official websites

Documents marked with asterisk (*) may be required in some states.